April 06, 2006


G is for... Green (& Black's)

I think buying fair trade chocolate is pretty important: what's a luxury for us shouldn't destroy people's lives half a world away. Plus it feels like giving to charity, so really it's a responsibility to eat more chocolate...

We are given so much choice in the western world and mostly it's cost or convenience that guides our decisions. Even if we only occasionally take food miles, fair trade and free-range (both poultry and pork products) into account, it will help the world around us in the long-term.

Green & Black's is the most prominent fair trade chocolate producer; so successful in fact that they have been bought up by Cadbury's. They have been criticised for 'selling out', but actually I think it's great that Cadbury's are seeing how important fair trade is commercially. Perhaps one day all Cadbury's chocolate will be fair trade...

My very wonderful Secret Pal, Bryony, rounded up Secret Pal 7 with a fantastic parcel of the Green & Black's chocolate cookbook, some chocolate, and oh yes, some green Rowan Cork yarn she had promised me. Bryony has spoiled me so well, I've got some amazing things that I will treasure and use for years. I've also had the benefit of her good advice and friendship which has definitely made me a better crafter. She's a star! Thanks Bryony.
I... um... worked out who she was quite early on but she's managed to keep up the facade of secrecy extremely well :)

Here's chocolate swirl shortbread from the recipe book, it's yummy. I'm not going to post the recipe though, you'll just have to buy the book yourself :)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

tee hee, and there I was being all impressed with the co-ordination :)

there's a small sample of the wares in the post to you - probably be all crumbs by the time it gets to you, but YUMMY crumbs! I think I would probably have photocopied the whole book before sending it out - even the pictures make me drool...

thought about one skein along yesterday. It sounds good, albeit a sneaky way to get lots of people to buy the book, and I'm stunned you can make a tank top from one skein (how BIG is the skein...). Maybe. If I can get my sewIknit done :)

6:54 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thankfully, the recipe writers do tend to Dave's way of thinking and most of the recipes have BIG CHUNKS in them :)

7:37 pm  
Blogger Leslie Shelor said...

Great "G", with "food" for thought!

5:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you tried Green and Blacks "Maya Gold"? It's dark chocolate with an orange flavor and it's heavenly!

1:19 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home