May 11, 2006

One Skein swap questionnaire

Which yarn is most like your personality (you can be specific or general with your answer- brand, type, color, fiber, whatever)?
I haven't really knitted with enough yarns yet to be too conclusive on this one - basically I'm open to suggestion!
I'm not good at very slow-going projects so generally head towards thicker yarns, but that's one of the things that attracted me most about the one-skein book: nothing would take too long! So perhaps this is my chance to use more delicate yarns (whch I generally love the look and feel of).


What is your favorite color yarn to knit/crochet with?
If I'm knitting for me I tend to go for reds, purples, browns and the odd bit of green. For my daughter it has to be pink. I most like slightly washed-out pigments rather than really really garish ones.

Have you ever used variegated, or magic, yarns?
I'm not a sock knitter so haven't tried self-striping yarns. I can see it would add interest to the process but I'm usually not so keen on the strong colour changes. I'm not a big fan of varigated yarn for the same reason but do like the subtle changes of a hand-dyed or similar yarn.

Do you tend to favor certain fibers when choosing yarns?
I like the feel of natural fibres and 'quality' yarns, although I find a % of artificial fibre really does help the knitting process. I keep hoping to find a great yarn that is machine washable but I haven't done so yet...

Do you prefer to work with center-pull or traditionally wound balls of yarn?
Is it just me? I can never find the centre end to pull...

Have you ever worked with organic yarns or are you interested in trying them?
I haven't although I am interested in welfare farming and supporting smaller local products. I enjoy investigating the smaller suppliers who carefully source their flock etc. I've bought fair-trade alpaca and would aim to do so again.

How many and what projects have you made in the last year?
Only really started knitting again at the end of last year. Since then I have completed knitty's tempting top, a hat from a vintage pattern, a mobeius wrap, a felted bag, a bolero and (nearly) a string of flags. I've sewn quite a few things in that period too.

Will you be knitting any gifts this year?
I should have thought so, possibly from the book!

What is your favorite one skein project?
My book hasn't arrived yet but... I think the things I'm most likely to tackle first are the felted bowl and the tank.

How much yarn do you have in your stash and how do you store it?
At the minute about a dozen balls, in a basket in the bedroom.

Do you have a yarn in your stash that you love so much you can never use it or part with it?
I don't really get that attached to materials, I tend to instead plan over and over again what to use them for (but then never get started). I do have several balls of recycled yarn from a friend's sweater that I won't use until I can find the 'right' thing.

Do you knit less or differently in the summer?
not sure yet! Probably not though. I don't dress much differently.

Do you belong to any knitting groups (online or offline)?
several projects (see my blog) but no stitch 'n' bitch type groups.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home