September 24, 2006


Tomorrow I start back full time at work again. I think I'm naturally a full-time worker: I feel I've been cramming a full-time job into half the hours for the last 18 months (and of course hanging out with DD is a full-time job in its own right).

685,000 objects (not to mention the team of 12) sometimes feels like a disabilitating responsibility but it's the displays that both inspire me and drive me to despair. I don't have the perfectionist gene and generally I think that's a good thing.

I loved Alicia's post yesterday about how it's the little things in life that make up 'society'. Museums are stuffed full of the big things: the expensive, the exhibition pieces, the wedding dresses, the medals, the ceremonial mayorial items. The challenge is to use these to draw out the details of life.

Mind you, tomorrow I'll probably get embroiled in some car parking problem... :)

5 Comments:

Blogger Elizabeth said...

Ah, good luck. I'm kind of jealous of those who go back to work -- as you well know, full-time mothering is hard work and for those of us who enjoy work outside the home, incredibly emotionally taxing. Mind you, I guess you'll still be a full-time mother, you'll just have to squeeze it around your working hours. Either way, good lucky with everything, including any parking woes.

4:27 pm  
Blogger Ali said...

Good luck with your full time return to work, as well as being a full time mother (can't go part time with that, although sometimes life would be so much easier if you could!).

You have an amazing job.

5:02 pm  
Blogger Camilla said...

Oh, I'm going back to work after the new-year and I must say I'm not looking forward to it too much. It will sure be a challenge and a change with two small children. How do people with 3 and 4 children (or more) manage? Surely there are many super-mums out there! Good luck going back to work!! :)

6:55 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best of luck and don't get too tired.

7:45 pm  
Blogger Ruth Singer said...

ok, now I'm really fascinated about where you work. I used to be a curator, years ago!
Hope you do come to the Origin awards evening as I will be there too.

7:56 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home